Sunday 18 May 2014

NEWHALL UNITED 1 DERBY ROLLS ROYCE 3: general images...

The wrong place...


My cool Mazda satnav took me to Newhall but the ground was about as easy to find as someone who has actually heard of American band 'Daughtry'. I found lots of cul-de-sacs, though. Finally, a chap, walking with his son, who was wearing a Manchester United shirt (well, this was Newhall, nowhere near Old Trafford...) told me to go to the bottom of the road and there it would be.
I was hauled in by a chap with a table, a chair and a green umbrella, who charged me £2. 50 and gave me a programme, before directing me along a leafy, bushy, tree-lined track to where a number of vehicles were parked up in a rough field. I walked through another field and when I arrived at the green umbrella, enquired where the main pitch was... I was told, as he pointed to the chaotic scene below, that that was it. Never heard of Newhall  United v Derby Rolls Royce, for this was a kids' football tournament. Thanks for that. I insisted on a refund, was grudgingly handed it and although I offered to hand back the programme, I was told to keep it as a souvenir. Of what? Incompetent locals? Anyway, a chap was cleaning his car in one of the 2,585 cul-de-sacs and he directed me properly. I think he was going to watch the game too, so thanks, my friend!


The Bodging explains to my daughter's cat Cinders,  staying for a week, that he's off to football at Newhall...

The Bodging sits in the Chairman's seat.
The 'grandstand' is more fall than stand, but my favourite non-league structure so far...
Brilliant...


Net view of a great place...

Unexploded WW1 bomb...

Greek pillar?


Ah, got here then...

United, a team shot...

Great end...

A warm-up shot by James Ward was so hard that it ripped a glove from Simon Baldwin's hand.
His hand couldn't be traced in the decaying shed.

The 2nd Royal Warwickshire Regiment refused to stay here during WW1 battles on the Marne...

My ground photo of the year...

Bench, ledge, or giant Lego piece?

Do you not like this?

Smart clubhouse...

Bird-hides, possibly used as dugouts...

A country hike before the match begins...

Love it...

Note the recycled cans in the container...

Panorama, hiding the small imperfections...

Davy Hamson searches for his dad...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.