Thursday 25 December 2014

CHRISTMAS TRUCE by The Mowdog...

Don’t Know Why



Whatever the truth, a truce was spoken about, 
Hardly sanctioned by officers, reportedly
But popular belief has committed the incident to folklore:
The football match too.

Craters, obstacles and mounds must have suited the English game:
Hoisting, or lifting the ball forwards and howitzer-booted defenders 
Slugging the missile, thus imitating normal trench warfare,
In battlefield’s mud glue. 

The Germans suffered a narrow defeat, it was reported,
Although propaganda, tobacco, alcohol and refereeing decisions 
May have taken their tolls, as well as conflict’s detritus and gore:
Sadly they usually do.

I went to survey the scene of this monumental match 
On ragged field, now a cultivated patch, 
Beneath the gaze of a distant spire, which lurched in mist
But, tempted, I was unable to resist
The clutch of memorial footballs, damp among wreaths for the dead
And I flicked one onto my instep, the thrilling empathy in my head…

And I played too…  

PeteRay


The 'pitch'...

information board...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.