Wednesday 31 December 2014

NEWLYN ARTISTS: I've always liked this painting...

Never Morning Wore To Evening But Some Heart Did Break
 
Broken.
Eyes averted from scene,
Covered by her calloused palms,
Elbows her only support;
For the sympathetic hand's ageing touch
Wasn't felt...
 
Forsaken.
Bay silken in death,
Nestling as a lined casket,
Ripples quite sickeningly smug;
For its haunting threat had been
Cruelly dealt...
 
Stricken.
Tears ripped from soul,
Sea-wall dark in mourning,
Seining debris now grave-goods;
For widowhood will hack such a
Harrowing welt...

My favourite painting when I taught at Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery.
Seining was a fishing method.
The sea-wall remains and whenever I go to Newlyn, I walk upon it.
Walter Langley's painting has always haunted me...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.