Wednesday 16 December 2015

'THE GIFT THEY DIDN'T WANT': a Christmas poem by The Mowdog...

It was 1962-63 I reckon. I had never bought my parents a Christmas present with my own meagre savings before. I was around 12 years old. In Aston Cross, Birmingham, walking from bus-stop to school, I had spotted a bunch of six liqueur-type glasses on a bridge-like holding frame. It appealed to me. I saved up to buy it. I was desperate for my parents to open the present on Christmas morning. 
My dad liked a tot of whiskey at Christmas, whereas my mum drank alcohol not at all.
I hadn’t thought of that…



The Gift They Didn’t Want

The candle bridge brought out each December
Sends a shiver through me
Without fail;
It nestles amongst fake pine greenery
Across a shelf, above the fire.
And I remember. I remember
A distressing Christmas tale.

The glass bridge bought early one December,
Early 1960s, pleased me,
Without doubt;
It nestled in a china cabinet, permanently,
On a shelf, beneath a plate.
And I remembered. I remembered
What failure was about.

Spied in a fancy goods store
Near the brewery at old Aston Cross,
It attracted my attention
In a chaotic window display
Amongst other cheap and nasty dross.
I saved some shillings and heavy pence,
I checked that it was still there each day
But I told no-one of my intention…

It was cheap. I know that now.
The ‘gold’ on the bridge soon flaked.
But I had wrapped it with care, 
For my parents’ acceptance I ached…

Their faces, however, said it all, I know that now:
Mild frowns, occasional nods and incomprehension.
I was unable to speak. I felt deflated,
The gift treated with some reprehension…

It was given away, many years ago
But the hurt remained deep inside;
An idea, a thought, an acquisition,
Which would too easily be cast aside… 

Pete Ray

16 December, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.