Saturday 12 December 2015

WHY I FEAR HORROR MOVIES...

Jack the Fruiterer Man

Great Expectations were felt as a child,
When Dickens’ novel was televised:
Grim, black and white,
(Now as ‘greyscale’ restyled.)
I recall sitting, well behaved
Until, during a cemetery scene, I was shocked,
For Magwitch rose from behind a gravestone
To reveal a vile and loathsome face
And I arose from my seat, jaw locked…

It made me jump, I couldn’t look,
I hid my eyes inside a football book
I was very upset, I was quite terrified,
I needed to pee and I know I cried…

In anticipation of horror as an adult,
Hitchcock’s ‘Psycho’ was televised:
Stark in black and white,
A medium I’ve since reviled.
I recall relaxing, in control
Until a chair around was spun
To reveal a skeletal and rotted face
And I leapt back into my chair, quite stunned…

It made me start, I couldn’t look,
I recall how hard my shoulders shook;
I was really shaken, I was so terrified,
I nearly peed and I’m sure I cried…

He was commonly called ‘Jack the Fruiterer Man’,
Who delivered fruit and veg’ from the back of his van;
I was told that when into my pram he peered,
I screamed at the gurning visage which appeared.

Surprise became fright and I was no longer happy,
As no doubt demonstrated by the state of my nappy;
I truly recall those moments of being afeared,
An early memory which has not disappeared…

I’ve never recovered from the evil fruiterer Jack,
For sudden shocks still take me aback;
I’m suddenly distraught, when something makes me jump
And my bowels need to empty like a mechanical pump…
   

Pete Ray
December 2015

Left, but not abducted...


I really do seem to remember cowering inside my pram as the well-meaning but frightening face of Jack lowered itself to get a view of me, as I was left outside the house we shared with a grandmother in Ward End, Birmingham. Did my mother want someone to take me away, or what?
Since that time, anything which suddenly appears before me makes me jump, uncontrollably… 
A bath in the front room, our living space...

Sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.