Thursday 7 January 2016

MICK GODBER: LEGEND...

The Legendary Mick Godber

Modelled on a wobbly ‘Jeux Sans Frontieres' figure,
His low centre of gravity
Belied his heading strength;
Shirt taut against generous waist,
He leaned and angled his portly frame
Against taller defenders’ physical length…

Modelled on a velcro-haired ‘Action Man’ figure,
His solid and widening girth
Belied his ageless control;
Shorts strained against buttocks,
He leaned and turned his thickening thighs
Against younger defenders’ marking-roles… 


Pete Ray
January 2016 (original penned in 2009...)
Mick playing for Retford @ Spalding (see below...)

Mick Godber, who bustled, hustled and tussled defences in 2008-09, bludgeoning Peter Duffield's Retford United Badgers to a league title... 

After my poem was published on a forum, I received a message that Mr Godber requested a moment in my company.

I was terrified, but spoke to him at Spalding one evening and waited for a fist to strike my chin...  

He shook my hand... He netted a brace in a 0-5 victory.

I was rather relieved.

Legend...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.