Thursday 7 January 2016

VILLA v LEICESTER & THEN NOTTINGHAM FOREST, EASTER 1962... VILLA WON 8-3 & 5-1...

The Decorating, The Buses, The Villa and The Forest

At first, the spirit was willing
And I offered help, I recall:
To slap warm water from a bucket onto a wall, perhaps
Or scrape paper off, maybe slicing my name in it, or ‘VILLA’,
Until a harsh word from the decorator,
Broody, moody,
Caused me to lose interest and stall
Then wander away into the back yard
And alone, silently, deliberately kick a ball,
Steering clear of the veritable dictator
Who really didn’t value my help at all…

At last, the parent was unwilling
But I craved permission, I recall:
Avoiding any possible castigation, or DIY mishaps,
To be allowed to go to watch Nottingham Forest play Aston Villa,
And a harsh frown from the decorator,
Toiling, spoiling,
Caused me to lose fear and thrall,
Then venture away to catch buses
And alone, timidly, worryingly, watch football,
Keeping away from the irritable remonstrator
Who really couldn’t be bothered at all… 

Pete Ray
January 2016


My writing shows the team-changes...
Note Gordon Banks conceded 8.
Albert Cheeseborough... Wow...
Frank McLintock, Derek Dougan...


Again my scribble...
Peter Grummitt was a favourite 'keeper of mine but he conceded 5...
Le Flem? Played within spitting distance of his inside-left...

I was mildly criticised for not helping more with the decorating as a kid, but my father was a careful decorator and I was not allowed to paste, or paint, presumably so my dad avoided having to re-paste and re-paint over my inexperienced efforts.
I would scrape walls. 
One Easter Bank Holiday Monday, in 1962, dad was decorating my parents’ bedroom and my mother steered clear of him, as he grouched and took his time. I had been to see Villa beat Leicester City 8-3 on the Saturday, he worked in the bedroom on the Sunday and I had hoped desperately that he would take me via buses to see the Monday match, also at home, against Nottingham Forest. 
I recall standing before him, begging him to go, as he crouched beneath the window, struggling to get wallpaper to fit but he refused to take a break and attend the game. 
Incredibly, I was allowed to go alone.
I was 11 years old.
I caught the 55 bus from Shard End to join the Outer Circle 11 route to Villa Park. I then had to take the same two buses home. 
Vila won 5-1.

It would not happen today…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.