Friday 12 February 2016

MAKING UP FOR AN ANCIENT EGYPT SESSION...

Making Up For Egypt

I would sit
In a tight space:
No natural light
Endearing the day.
Thigh-length white gown, obtusely 
Tied with gold braid, loosely
At the waist
And tired gaze peered into a small mirror,
Cosmetics in hand, mind contrite…

I would brush
Eyelids with green:
Unnatural sight, 
Preparing the day.
Black liner, eye-paint sinuously
Daubed with bold sweeps, selflessly
With kohl’s sheen
And keen gaze peered at a scribe’s face,
Wig in hand, senses alight…

Pete Ray
February 2016


Mornings spent making up my eyes to appear as though I was an ancient Egyptian scribe: ‘Thoth-hotep’, ready for Egyptian handling sessions in role at Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery…
Good days...
My son, Jamie, had to assist me one day, when his school was closed for teacher training...

Poor lad.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.