Monday 28 March 2016

EDWIN GREAVES, EX-COVENTRY UNITED MANAGER, WRITES ABOUT HIS DISMISSAL...


"Sunday, 27th March 2016 will be a date I'll never forget.


As you all know by now, I have been sacked as Coventry United manager.


The phone call was very short, mainly because I was too upset to talk.
I will be personally phoning the 4 guys in charge soon, as we have had some great times together.


It may not have been the way I wanted to go out but the guys are doing what they think is best for Coventry United and I have to respect them for that, even though I obviously disagree.


After all the time and effort I have put in over the last 3 years, their decision has left me deeply upset.


Coventry United is a club with big ambitions and is more important than Edwin Greaves but if it's felt that a change is needed because I am not up to the job, then so be it.


The club has said there are roles within the club that I may be asked to take up, so my Coventry United adventure might not be over yet. I have asked for time to think as I really don't know what I intend to do next at the moment.


I wish Terry, Mark, Joe, Harry, Sarah, Mick and Glynn all the best for the rest of the season, for I didn't get the chance to say goodbye to them all face to face but I know at some point I will see them all soon.


To the players, please believe in yourselves guys, as the destiny of the season is still in your own hands and that is a great position to be in at this stage of the season. Stick together and I believe you guys can still achieve the prize we have all worked so hard for.


To the Red and Green Army: thank you all for the support you have given me, it really does mean a lot.


I have tried my best to give you all a team to be proud of. We have had some great days and the memories I have from the last 3 seasons will live with me for ever. I will at some point soon come back to say my goodbyes but at present I am not sure when.


Can I ask you all to get behind the club and give it all the support you gave me and more, to help push the lads over the finish line?


What now for me?


As I have said, I will let the dust settle and speak to the investors and see what they want me to do inside the club.


I have spent a lot of nights out of the house so I am not sure my very supportive wife Alison will want me at home!!


I might stay in management, as I haven't done too badly making decisions, or I might continue learning somewhere as a number 2 because you are never too old to learn.


I have really enjoyed myself managing Coventry United and I look back now with a sense of real pride.


To all the people who took the time to phone me or send me messages, I was deeply touched that you all did so, despite your busy lives, so thank you.


Things haven't ended the way I would have liked but I would like to thank Jason Kay, Pete Schofield, Jason Timms and Marcus Green for giving me the chance to manage Coventry United.


I am pleased that I was able to deliver you all 2 promotions in 2 years.
I leave with us sitting 3rd in the table with 4 defeats in 27 games and with most of our rivals playing 3 games more.


I have had a great time and have no regrets, so I can leave now with my head held high.


Bye for now..."

Edwin Greaves, ex-Coventry United manager...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.