Monday 4 April 2016

AFTER LISTENING TO MARIE DANIELLE'S ALBUM, 'HUSTLER'...

‘HUSTLER’

The voice sang plaintively of Tinseltown.
She knew he was gone…
Her diction sinewy, appealing,
For really she loved him anyway…
Thoughtfully, I drove on.
Soldier set the clutch foot tapping,
Though cowboy boots wore I none.
Her delivery was willowy, revealing:
Good ol’ country, out of L.A…
And thus spurred, I motored on…

The Hustler could sing a tune, it seemed.
But I saw myself there…
The backing vocals rose, exuberantly
To an uplifting crescendo…
And I drove through the despair.
The pain felt in her Dreary Head was clear.
The tune soured to impair…
Her strain sang disdainfully,
Would the loneliness breed sadness?
And still I motored, yet who would care?

Strangely empowered by a rich rendition,
The rhythm thrummed at the soul…
Her voice, endeared by strings, dramatic,
The radio silence and One Night Stands forgiven…
I then accelerated, now on a roll.
Wistful White Shoes ground deep
In the catacombs of the chest,
Played like a slide-trombone, theatric.
No more the scribe in a pharaoh’s tomb, 
I travelled on, the tears repressed…

Daughtry's Tennessee Line, came to mind with
One of My Kind. And rich red wines…
A swing-beat, the voice reaped energy,
Seeping to pluck thrill from within,
As I accelerated past highway signs… 
Hovering vessels tossing on tides,
Slave Ships rustled a gentle beat…
Wave-licked boats, rocking, twangy,
Insistent, airy, breeze-blown.
I travelled alone on an unknown street…

The hinted haunting of Fun With Us,
Slowed the mind, held the tension.
Bluesy maybe. I narrowed my gaze…
Taking in words, searching for meanings,
I drove, I listened, despite journey’s intervention…
The sun always overtakes the moon:
In pharaoh’s time by the Scarab pushed…
The cadence drifting, easy in haze, 
Accompanying me to my destination, for
All Roads Lead To Home and I had driven, hushed…

Pete Ray
March 2016

Listened to ‘Hustler’, a debut (?) album by Marie Danielle on a drive from Solihull, UK, to Northampton, where I watched and reported upon a soccer game between Sileby Rangers and Holbeach United.
The above is what I felt whilst listening to the 10 tracks.
The reference to Daughtry’s ‘Tennessee Line’ was due to a similar acoustic sound behind the vocals in ‘One of My Kind’.
The catacombs, a pharaoh’s tomb, the sun overtaking the moon, loneliness and sadness references were all sung about by the artist but I identified with these, having spent some years dressed as an Egyptian scribe, whilst teaching in Birmingham Museum, UK.
The Scarab beetle was indeed responsible for pushing the sun, like a giant dung-heap across the sky each day, according to ancient Egyptians…
I liked that.    



    



  





No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.