Friday 15 April 2016

ALVECHURCH CHAIRMAN RICHARD THORNDIKE ASSESSES THE 3-0 WIN v BROMSGROVE SPORTING...

YES RICHARD, YOU DO LOOK HAPPY...


"Really happy with the result obviously. 


The lads knew how much this game meant to me personally because of our connections with Sporting. Their management team and quite a few of their players are either ex-'Church' or personal friends of mine, or both. 

They are leading Division One and they had beaten us in two previous friendlies over the past 12 months, so it was always going to be a tough encounter. 

When I saw their starting XI I could see, like us, they had one or two injuries but even so I knew it would be competitive. If Brainy had knocked that one in after our first goal it could have made things a little tighter but I thought overall we dominated most of the play and went in at half-time deserving the two goal cushion. 

Smudge made changes for them at half-time but after the break I think we always looked dangerous. Ours is the best defensive record in the league so I knew they weren't going to score 3 to win the game. 

The thing that possibly surprised me was just how fit we looked in comparison to them for the last 15 minutes or so. A couple of theirs had cramp but we were relentless, chasing every ball and closing them down high up the pitch, so it was no surprise when Jordan and Zac combined for what was, in my opinion, the goal of the match and well worthy of the entrance fee!

There's no doubt they're a good side and I know Smudge will push them right to the end in their search for the elusive title win. 


If they manage it and we don't quite make it ourselves then there will be more derbies like this to look forward to next season, which will be a treat for the local fans for sure..."

Richard Thorndike, Chairman, Alvechurch FC...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.