Sunday 7 August 2016

COVENTRY UNITED COACH HARRY BARNES COMMENTS ON THE 1-1 FA CUP DRAW v SHAWBURY UNITED...

HARRY BARNES, looking rather well groomed...


"I just want to start this on a personal note to say how much I've been looking forward to this game today. I gave up playing football at 16 and was a bit gutted that I'd never get to live out my childhood dream of being a footballer, playing in competitions like the FA cup. To be with Coventry United 4 years later, being involved in the FA cup, even right at the very beginning, has been a very proud moment for me so thanks to Terry and the board for sticking with me.

Unfortunately, the game itself was a disappointment for us with both the performance and the result. The players and the management are all aware that we didn't play to the high standards that we've set over the past few seasons and we need to make sure we put it right in the replay on Wednesday and carry it forward to the league, beginning next Saturday.

Josh O'Grady won a free kick not far off the corner-flag and absolutely fluked scoring it, which included a goalkeeping mistake. Kev Thornton was unlucky not to score on a couple of occasions and Tommy Glasscoe had a rare chance from right-back but an equaliser from a poorly defended corner is what cost us a place in the next round.

The attendance was about 205 I think I heard, which was great to see and I know a lot of people, particular ground-hoppers, travelled quite some way for the game, so thank you to everyone who came. Just a shame the match wasn't as entertaining as we know we could have made it.

Onto Wednesday now for the replay, having to travel quite a way to Shawbury and we don't want to come back as losers, that's for sure."



HARRY BARNES, COACH, COVENTRY UNITED FC...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.