Thursday 27 October 2016

'BEING J.R.R. TOLKIEN': A NEW POEM...

Being J.R.R. Tolkien

I was in role, in a sports jacket dressed;
A trilby hat and gaudy waistcoat I wore
And from my mouth protruded a pipe.
School pupils filmed and interviewed me, impressed
About my life, my books and the Great War:
I WAS Tolkien and the children bought into the hype…

I withdrew from the Tolkien role, the session was concluded
But a child then nervously approached:
“Would you sign my dad’s copy of ‘The Hobbit’ please?” she dared to ask…
Such utter shock my expression surely exuded,
Her teacher nodded, as her guidance I broached
And thus I dipped my pen in ink to complete the unusual task…

I signed the edition for the child’s dad,
A dead man’s mark I’d created;
She watched, bewitched at my invention
And yet I became overwhelmingly sad,
For it was a forgery that I had innovated,
But to please the girl had been my sole intention…

Pete Ray
October 2016



I had been Gollum, also the miller and then I had changed costume again to become JRR Tolkien at Sarehole Mill in Birmingham but one very bright girl, totally fascinated by Tolkien’s work had ignored the fact that I was in role and had believed that I really was the long dead writer. 

Her teacher wanted me to sign the volume because the child had been so engrossed in the session…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.