Saturday 22 October 2016

'DRAWING ME IN': A NEW POEM ABOUT MOUSEHOLE...




Drawing Me In

It seems like a cold day.
Even mast reflections shiver and shudder
 Near each harsh, black rudder
In a dour, congested Mousehole quay.

I feel the need to be present there,
To breathe redolences of tar and smoke and oil,
Of fish and fumes and fishermen’s toil,
And climb inside the image to stare…

I curse the damp, I hear the screams of gulls
And haul myself ‘tween stinking baskets, ropes and coils of chain
And those ancient nets in poor repair and used to seine,
Which limp across the vessels’ hulls…

Weed bedecked mooring ropes, taut at bollards, fray,
Clinking at the strain and the tug and the wrench,
Reeking of that dampened wood seafaring stench,
As luggers and seiners lie safe in Mount’s Bay…

Pete Ray
October 2016

Just looking at the image made me want to climb inside it and experience the time… 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.