Tuesday 25 October 2016

'THE POCKET WATCH': A NEW POEM ABOUT WORLD WAR ONE...

The Pocket Watch

In truth there was much low cloud,
A strong breeze,
But a criminal blackness
As midnight lapsed.
In all honesty, I was not proud;
I tensed knees,
But my sense of righteousness
Had already collapsed…

Ushered from a dugout onto mud,
My task was to repair our wire;
I crawled, listening for the thud
Of shells on the shocking mire.

I slithered, pliers in hand,
To turn and twist torn ends;
Terrified, I tampered in a barbed land,
With entangled coils to mend.

Bothered by the detritus strewn,
The tatters of limbs were nauseating;
Young Englishmen, their lives cruelly hewn
And my vomit spilled, unrelenting.

I scrambled away in sickened retreat
But one hand an object grasped,
Ripped it from slime, pocketed it, a feat,
As I scrabbled away and then gasped…

In truth, it was a time-piece,
A war-issue British pocket-watch,
Displaying the moment of an infantryman’s death:
At ten-seventeen his life had lapsed…
In all honesty, I could feel no peace,
My breath I could barely catch;
For him there was no memorial, or wreath,
For humanity had all but collapsed…

Pete Ray
October 2016




I acquired the World War One pocket-watch and wondered who it had belonged to and how it had been found.

I wrote about it from the point of view of a German soldier, who might have come across it as he scurried back to his trench, following a night-foray to repair barbed wire…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.