Monday 24 October 2016

'THE WALL, NEWLYN': A NEW POEM...




The Wall, Newlyn

Curved
Like a giant magnet
It lay: a permanence,
As vessels it attracted,
And became attached
Like iron filings
To a lure irresistible,
A pull invisible,
Just as a serpent might lurk
For prey distracted,
Which became attacked,
Unnerved…  

I peered down from the street 
Some years ago
At the curved arm,
Barely nursing a vessel or two
But it was the grassy covering
Which offered its charm:
Tempted, encouraged and cajoled me, hovering
With much ado…
And I knew,
My foolish whim unwavering,
That one day the magnet of that wall
And my curiosity,
The twain, would surely meet…

Pete Ray
October 2016




The old harbour wall at Newlyn.
The old image shows barely any craft in the background, unlike today’s marina.

I was attracted by the wall and have explored it several times now, the setting for my favourite painting by Walter Langley…


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.