Friday 4 November 2016

'OCTOBER SURF': NEW POEM ABOUT MAWGAN PORTH LAST WEEKEND...

October Surf

Didn’t look promising
From my view on the dry, soft sand
A couple of hundred metres away,
Admittedly,
But I strode on, hoping,
Across the hard, damp, undulating sand,
My board ‘neath my arm, tucked away…

It looked more hopeful
From my view in the thrashing shallows
Around maybe twenty-five metres on,
Critically,
And I waded forth, vengeful,
Through the drag where balance wallows,
My board ‘neath my body, keen to sprawl on… 

Then a wave slashed,
Untainted white
And hauled and lashed
My board, held tight;
Then I was propelled
Almost to shore:
I clung on, I held
And I wanted more…

It was clearly acceptable,
From this first ride
Of thirty rushing metres, or more,
Thrillingly,
That certainly this would be desirable
From a questionable tide:
Such power simmering in a mighty roar…

Pete Ray
November 2016



Didn’t think the rides would be any good at Mawgan Porth on 27th October. 
They would prove to be exhilarating. 
There was nobody else in the sea for quite a while and so that surf felt like mine.

Fine feeling…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.