Wednesday 21 December 2016

'COALBAGS': REMEMBERING THE COAL DELIVERIES...

Coalbags

Green-cabbed truck would rattle heavily
Up the incline that was my road;
Few parked cars then, through which to weave.
Its lumbering low gear hauled
Those dull, dingy, darkened bags of weighed coal
To a jolting halt and thrilled me, then so naïve…

I was told to stand at a window,
Yet also not to move the ‘nets’ and count,
To confirm that ten bags had been carried
From deck to coalhouse on backs,
With laborious, stooping gaits of suffering,
While I delighted in my peeping and tarried…

There was a ten second delay
As each coalman, blackened,
Vanished into my side-entry, out of view;
Until a resounding crunch, like thunder to me,
Announced a bucked load, thrown into the dusty pile,
The approach marked by blackened sole of blackened shoe…

The fascination was the leaning of bulging bags;
Giant, grimy hundredweights, square and tough
On the deck, dragged singly by one fellow,
Across for another to lever onto aching back;
Then the slack was swept to a corner,
As “How many’s that?” my mother would bellow… 

The emptied, flattened coalbags were thrown
Neatly onto a rear edge of the deck,
Like a huge stack of pliable wall-tiles,
By a relieved labourer with scary white eyes,
Which stared appealingly from dust-caked face;
Yet mother risked two clean cups for tea and drew sparkling smiles…

Pete Ray

Before the coal lorries I knew...



My uncle Les worked for Aldridge’s, the firm which delivered our coal, hence mom’s unlikely kindness…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.