Thursday 22 December 2016

'DIDN'T THEY WANT ME?': POEM ABOUT MY PARENTS...

Didn’t They Want Me?

Was it simply that my mum couldn’t give a damn?
Leaving me in the front garden alone in my pram?
Passers-by would see me but ignored me there
And perhaps like my mother they really didn’t care…

She was stuck with me, a left-hander who readily smiled,
Countenance accepting, mannered so mild;
Never received hugs though, despite my grin,
Typical of the times that I grew up in…

My father once walked me in Ward End Park,
I was bobbing up and down in my pram;
He headed down a slope towards the boating pool,
So I actually wonder, if HE too gave a damn?

A damaged footballer’s knee then suddenly locked,
The pain caused him to grab at the joint
But my pram rolled forth with no brake applied:
Today Health and Safety would labour the point…

The perambulator free-wheeled towards the pond,
My dad, in panic somehow freed his jammed knee;
He managed to scramble and grab the runaway pram,
Preventing a drowning and an early death for me…

So mum attempted to have me abducted,
Dad tried to set me adrift on a pool…
Why didn’t they simply send me away for adoption,
To avoid being the parents of a fool? 

Pete Ray
December 2016






These two incidents really did happen…
I have tried to make light of dad’s plight in the park but it was customary in the 1950s I believe, to leave a child in the front garden in its pram (to benefit from the ‘fresh’ air?)
I lived to tell both tales but obviously the poem is light-hearted…

Maybe… 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.