Monday 6 February 2017

EARLY YEARS...

63 Bamville Road, Early Years

Fragmented memories.
I was five or six:
A general dullness, 
Almost sepia.
A complete chill,
Or does recall play its tricks?

Front parlour.
I was a child:
A timid resistance,
Almost constricting.
A behaved existence  
With a father rarely mild.

Gloomy hall.
I was a little in awe:
A lonely childhood, 
Almost terrified.
A perfect falsehood,
Behind a closed door.

Hidden stairs.
I was fascinated:
An access door,
Almost unnoticeable.
A draught excluder  
And more space created

Family bedroom.
I was deposited:
A single bed, 
Almost cornered.
A silent presence,
Parents’ relationship tested.

Kitchen fireplace. 
I was tempted:
A news-page drawn,
Almost burning.
A terrifying experience
And from a thrashing, not exempted.

Outside lavatory.
I was instructed:
A morning dropping,
Almost instantaneous.
A plaintive beckoning,
Tissue to be administered.

Portable pillar.
I was attracted:
A smoker’s aid,
Almost carved.
A dark wood, 
Silver ashtray supported.

Patterned sofa.
I was partial:
A dull-red, 
Almost faded.
A childhood seat,
Flower print inconsequential.

Privet hedge.
I was allowed:
A shearing, occasionally,
Almost marshalled.
A tangible boredom
Cast its depressing shroud.

Polished brass.
I was aware:
A pungent odour,
Almost unbearable.
A lingering stench
For a child’s nose to bear.

Sepia memory.
I was impressionable:
A colourless home, 
Almost custodial.
A silent sanctuary,
Its effects indelible…

Pete Ray



The house was certainly dull. 
Mom and dad lived in the front room, my nan in the parlour, for it was her house.
I remember the extra door in the parlour which opened onto the stairs, which also prevented cold air from upstairs entering the downstairs rooms. 
I slept in my parents’ room. Not good, I suppose.
Watched my nan ‘draw’ the fire in the kitchen with a double page of newspaper, which drew air to excite the flames. I tried it, nan caught me, dad thrashed me.
Mom’s cleaning of brass items was smelly but I can still see and feel the dark red, patterned sofa we had.
The ashtray was about a metre high, made from dark, carved wood with a flat top and a silver ashtray. 
I was forced to sit on the loo each morning, out in the garden and call my dad to clean me with tissue. I hated that.
The privet hedge? I used shears once or twice. Was watched closely though, then told to go and play in the back garden…

A good time there?
No.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.