Monday 6 February 2017

I DIDN'T KNOW...

I Didn't Know…

I slept in a single bed along that window wall
Across the end of my parents’ double,
Never fearing the night, not wary of the dark
Even if I had been smacked or in trouble…

I never once realised that outside the window,
Forming a ’T’ shape above the glass panes
Was some ornate plaster work with a solid column,
 And its floral decoration still today remains…

At the top of the pillar there appears a face,
A cherub perhaps, a guardian protecting?
I didn't know about it as a child but did it ward off evil,
Its peering eyes sharp, keen and projecting?  

Pete Ray
February 2017



EARLY 1990s...

NOW...



Never knew about the plaster work as a child.
Left there as a 6 year old.
Saw it just a few weeks ago on my return to Bamville Road, Ward End, Birmingham…
  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.