Friday 10 February 2017

RIGHT-HAND BATTER?

Right-hand Batter?

So young, barely three years of age,
Small stumps were quickly acquired
And a cricket bat was handed to me
Then I was shown exactly what was required.

Unnaturally coerced into a right-handed stance
By a parent pedantic and ‘correct’,
He loomed scarily behind me to ape his own style
But I had no chance to appeal or reflect…

Too timid a child to disagree,
I took on this right-handed role,
Despite being totally left-handed,
The hand I employed to kick, throw, or bowl…

Thus I became an uncomfortable batsman,
No confidence, unstylish and guarded,
Lacking the ability to play accepted strokes
And my enthusiasm was soon discarded.

Eventually my role was as the wicketkeeper,
Yet as an opening batsman I was oft used;
A ‘Batsman of the Year’ award even came my way
Which left me laughing and completely confused…

Pete Ray
February 2017


WICKETKEEPER...

OPENING THE BATTING WITH BROTHER-IN-LAW VIC BALLINGER...

COLLECTING THE AWARD...
AMUSED.


My dad stood behind me and made me a right-handed batter. 
Not helpful. 
Natural shots to the off-side were awkward for me and I was too wary of him to switch to bat as a leftie.
I therefore hated batting and it was only being a wicketkeeper which kept my interest in cricket alive. I loved diving in those heavy gloves and floppy leg-guards…
Then, I opened the batting for an adult team and one summer I was voted best batsman of the season. 
I was so shocked.

I am able to play squash, tennis, table-tennis and badminton with either hand, although overarm hits are more comfortably completed left-handed…

Thanks, dad…

Had I been brought up in the USA, I would have been OK as an outfielder in baseball I reckon, for I can catch fine right-handed but throw better with my left…

Why the heck am I in the UK?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.