Friday 6 October 2017

TEACHING ABOUT ANCIENT EGYPT: A NEW POEM...

I Can’t Get In…

The images recur in hasty dreams:
I am late, I believe,
To teach just one more class
In Birmingham’s Museum, a favour
Asked by a teacher, it seems;
Yet an entrance to the building I cannot achieve.
My panic is palpable, my predicament crass,
For those ancient Egyptian artefacts once more to savour…

A suitcase is opened, objects lifted,
Pupils packed inside a tiny room;
Faience, alabaster and bronze to reveal
But the mummified remains are sadly not there.
Desperately searching, through artefacts sifted
But my heart is sinking with a feeling of doom: Where are they? To my inner self I appeal, 
Yet merely exasperation and consciousness I am soon aware…

Pete Ray
September 2017

I used to teach about ancient Egypt in Birmingham’s Museum and the pupils were able to handle genuine artefacts.

This dream recurs…

I can’t get inside the Museum.
The teaching room is too small and crammed with kids.
I cannot find the exciting mummy’s head, the mummified half-skull and mummified foot…


And then I wake up.

SKULL...

HALF SKULL & FOOT, WITH FINE ACHILLES TENDON...

OFTEN MY DAY JOB...

WITH A DEATH MASK & COFFIN CASING...

DEMONSTRATING A SHADUF, FOR LIFTING WATER FROM THE RIVER NILE AT, ER, SAREHOLE MILL...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.