Friday 15 December 2017

AN INTERVIEW WITH NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALLER JOSH O'GRADY, CURRENTLY PLAYING FOR RACING CLUB WARWICK...

Josh O'Grady: a career in non-league football...


I began by asking Josh about where his pro-team loyalties lie:

"I've always been a Villa fan, as it runs in the family. 
My great, great-grandfather played for them in the 1930/40s I believe, so my whole family have always been Villa fans through the generations."

Josh was asked about his early career:

"As a kid I had trials at Villa, Birmingham, Leicester, Wolves and then eventually I signed for Coventry, aged 13/14. I was released at 16, then did my YTS with Port Vale and was subsequently released from them at aged 18. I then went into the semi-pro game.

After being released by Port Vale I was looking for a semi-pro club and a good friend of mine Joe Mellings who had been at Coventry when I was younger, was playing for Daventry. He spoke to the manager and he contacted me to attend training, after which I then signed with them.

I signed for Daventry at 18 and I believe I was there for five seasons, gaining two promotions and suffering two play-off losses. It was the club where I made most of my footballing friends and have played at other clubs with for a number of years now. Josh Blake joined a couple of years after me, from Leamington."

I asked Josh about his success at clubs, where he had been happiest playing and which coach he'd learned the most from:

"Those are tough questions but in truth I've had success at three different clubs. Two promotions with Daventry, two with Coventry United and one with Stratford. If I had to pick, I would say Daventry just because along with the two promotions we also reached a semi-final and a final of the play-offs in the league above the one Coventry United are in now. So due to playing at a higher standard with them, I will go with Daventry as the most successful part of my career.

I would say I was happiest playing for both Daventry and Coventry pretty much equally. I played with lots of friends at both clubs which made a big difference and I had success with both.

I'd say the coach I learned most from as a kid was when I joined Kenilworth Wardens, a club managed by a man called Mike Cheslin. I think he had the biggest influence on improving me as a player. I remember training sessions at 11/12 years old where he would make us play one-touch football which at that age was very difficult but it gave me a good grounding for when I grew up."

What qualities does Mr O'Grady think that coaches and managers should have?

"I think it goes without saying that they need to be good communicators and be able to motivate you week-in, week-out. Man-managment is also vital and understanding how to get the best out of certain players, as everyone will react differently to different styles of coaching."

I wondered if Josh ever became a coach, what qualities he would look for in a player:

"I think the game has changed over the last few years and has become very technical, so a player with high teachnical ability is what I would look for as a coach. Obviously pace and strength can have their advantages and in certain positions you do need those." 

Tricky was asked which players, both team-mates and opponents had impressed him during his career:

"Firstly I'd have to say Blakey, for he's scored so many goals in his career at every club he has been at and is still doing it now at his old age at Racing Club Warwick. He's still proving what a natural goalscorer he is. I have to mention Daniel Sturridge, although I only played with him for a year when I was at Coventry, aged 14 but he was so far ahead of every player in our team and also players we played against, you always knew that he would play at the highest level." 

Josh attempted to pick a team of players he has known in his career, as an all-star 11: 

"This is tough, as I've played with so many players and I'm sure I will have forgotten one or two that could have made the team, but here goes:

GK: Rich Morris... 
Played with him at Daventry and Coventry. Has been a great 'keeper over the years, having success at many clubs and he's still going strong now at his great age.

RB: Aaron Stringfellow... 
Played with him at Coventry City, Daventry and Stratford. Currenly playing for Coventry Sphinx, Stringy has been a good mate off the field and possesses great quality on it. Solid defender who rarely gives the ball away.

LB: Tom James... 
Again TJ was at Coventry with me when I was younger and then Daventry for a couple of seasons, and most recently Coventry united. TJ was a pro at Watford and is a class left-back.

CB: Jason Lee... 
Jay Lee was at Daventry for a few years with me as the Captain. A giant solid defender with a great left foot, Jay was one of those defenders you would never wish to play against.

CB: Martin Hutchcox... 
One of my good friends off the field, Mav has played for the same club as me for most of our careers, with success wherever we have gone. Probably one of the most casual players I've played with, who believes he is the M.O.M. in every game he plays.

RM: Josh O'Grady... 
I'm playing myself at right-midfield as its my favourite position and where I feel I have been the most successful and effective.

LM: Dior Angus... 
Currently playing for Redditch United, I only spent one year with Dior at Daventry. A top lad with devastating pace and ability, and an eye for a goal. Having a great season this season with 17 goals already in the Southern Premier League.

CM: Ryan Howell...
Another good friend off the field, Ryan would probably have been at Coventry United with me for the last few years had it not been for him getting a job in Dubai. Ryan has quality in abundance, an eye for a pass and can beat players at will. Works his socks off in every game and I enjoyed a few successful seasons with him at Daventry and Banbury.

CM: Rich Blythe... 
First played with Blythey at Rugby and then helped persuade him to join Coventry United for a brief period. Pure quality and I wish I'd had the chance to play with him for longer, as I always felt he was on my wavelength. His passing ability was second to none.

CF: Tommy Berwick... 
Tommy was at Daventry when I first joined and had everything you would want from a striker. He could score goals from anywhere, had pace, strength and an eye for goal. Loved a chip and for a few seaons was unstoppable at that level.

CF: Josh Blake... 
Blakey has to be in the team. As I said earlier, he has scored numerous goals wherever he has played and is still doing it now. His knack for being in the right place at the right time is unbelievable. If you want a chance to fall to anyone, it would be him."

Josh pondered his own strengths and weaknesses:

"Strengths would be taking on players, I've always enjoyed beating an opponent and I believe its the strongest part of my game. A weakness would be heading. I've actually never scored a goal with my head at any level or any age. Hopefully one day it'll happen..."

Josh was asked whether any goals he's scored in his career stand out for any reason:

"A cup-final in my first season at Coventry United. We'd gone 2-0 up in the game only to let it slip to 2-2 against Knowle at Bromsgrove Sporting's stadium. In the last minute of the game I won a penalty which Brian (The Messiah) Ndlovu put wide. The game went into extra-time and I won a free-kick on the edge of their 18 yard box. I managed to bend it into the top corner which was a great feeling and it put us 3-2 up. We went on to lift the Cup that day, winning 4-2. 

A couple of other goals that stand out would be two I scored against Hinckley in our first season in Midland Division 1 with Coventry United. It was the second game of the season and they were supposedly the league favourites. I think it was within the first 5 minutes of the game when I picked the ball up just inside their half and drove towards goal. I remember it opening up for me and so I tried my luck from distance and it flew into the corner of the net. About 10 minutes later I picked the ball up on the right-hand side of the penalty-box and struck it first time into the roof of the net. We ended up winning 4-0 on the day and I believe that game was the catalyst in giving us the confidence to go on to eventually win the league."

I wondered which professional players had influenced Tricky over the years:

"As a kid my Dad bought me a video of Pele. I remember without fail before every Sunday League game watching it prior to the match. It kind of became a superstition of mine for good couple of years. I would have loved to have seen him play live.

In my era however I would have to say Ronaldinho, for the things he did with a ball were mesmerising. I could watch his skills and goals for hours on end." 

I asked Josh if there was a game which stood out in his career for any special or unusual reason and he chose the one below:

"One game that stands out was away to Lichfield for Coventry United. It was a game we needed to win in order to stay top of the league towards the end of the season. They were one of the top sides and we had Bromsgove on our heels. It was a tight game and we went 1-0 down in the 60th or 70th minute. All their players went to their bench which was in their own half to celebrate. Their whole team, bar the 'keeper were celebrating on the pitch and we had the ball back in the centre circle waiting to restart. I remember Coach Luke Morton shouting for us to take the kick, so I asked the referee, "Can we play?" He blew his whistle and Kai Williams touched the ball to me. With all their players still celebrating, I had a free run on goal with just the 'keeper to beat. Kai was running alongside me, so I slipped the ball to the side of the oncoming 'keeper and he tapped it into the empty net. The Lichfield players, still celebrating, were stunned as the referee awarded the goal and it was 1-1. I've never seen a goal like it and probably never will again. I'm not sure if it should have stood but it did and Kai scored a second, minutes from time to make it 2-1. I don't know what would have happened in the league if we had lost that game but it certainly was a big reason why we managed to hold on to our lead at the top and be crowned Champions..." 

Thanks to Tricky, aka 
Josh O'Grady, now playing at 
Racing Club Warwick...

Josh O’Grady: A Tricky Customer…

Mittens caress hands,
Offering a little protection
From the cold, perhaps,
Or maybe from the nasty mud,
Which plays havoc with his treated nails…

Galligaskins hang loose,
Wavering over the knee section
Of dirtied, scarred caps;
Bearded, seemingly not alert,
Those shorts billowing like sails…

Boots command balls,
Revealing no sure prediction
Of exploited gaps,
Just confusion and concern
For a defender following his trails…

Body swivels, gyrates,
Bewitching markers’ attention
Into erroneous traps;
Swerves, twists, turns back again,
Until opponent, frustrated, ails…

Defenders, tricked, sag,
Moving in the wrong direction
As the winger adapts
To whence his legs now lead
And the enemy helplessly flails…

Pete Ray
February 2016

Josh ‘Tricky’ O’Grady of Coventry United often lurks on a touchline like he would rather be watching the ‘Bake-Off’ than playing football. Then, when he receives the ball, it’s like he has a tasty muffin to bake and without pace but employing deft feints and changes of direction, very often loses and fools his marker. 
OK, he wins some, he loses some, but when he is in form, he is a joy to watch at Step 6 in the National game. 
Yes, he is often awarded cheap free-kicks, yes he annoys opposition coaches but his skill is to be admired…

And no, we are NOT related…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.