Sunday 3 December 2017

THE RACING CLUB WARWICK GANTRY...


Escaping the Gantry

(Racing Club Warwick kindly offered their gantry to me, so that I could get a better position to film their FA Vase Round 3 game v Wisbech Town. It proved tough to access, due to an awkward ladder, scaffolding and overhanging tree branches. 
It was even more hairy descending after the final whistle…
Loved it though…)

The grandstand’s corrugated metal backdrop
Was marked by grim, green slime
In patches of damp, dull grime;
A narrow path, leaf-smothered,
Led between the shelter’s wall and a chaos, a shambles
Of unkempt bushes, gnarled trees and clinging brambles,
To an aluminium ladder, leaning precariously
At eighty degrees for a shaky climb, access and entry
To an exposed and rudimentary viewing gantry…

The cold, damp scaffold piping pierced
Encroaching branches at the ladder’s awkward reach,
Like a break, a hole, a barrier’s breach;
A slippery roof lay there, wet and weathered
And I hunched, clambered and rambled,
Through the spiky foliage I scrambled
Over horizontal scaffold limbs, connected deviously;
I twisted, I turned, I crouched on the slope of the ‘stand
Then hauled myself onto the gantry, soiling my hands…

The platform’s moss-encrusted planks glistened
Wet and slippery on the primitive dais wooden,
Upon which I stood in December’s drizzle, sodden;
Soles clung but shoes might have slithered,
As I watched, filmed and commentated
And players argued and gesticulated
In an FA Vase match won conclusively
By Wisbech Town, before in gloomy darkness I wondered with a worried frown,
How via obstacles, branches and the wobbly ladder, I would get back down…

Pete Ray
December 2017 
  

   

BEFORE THE LADDER...

THE SCAFFOLD TREE...

AH, THE LADDER...

LOOKING DOWN:
IT WAS DARK AT THE END OF THE GAME...

VIEW RIGHT...

VIEW LEFT...

VIEW ACROSS...

THE MOSSY, SLIPPERY PLANKS...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.